Everyone desires to achieve that healthy-looking and glowing skin. It is essential to understand that not only genes but a healthy diet and a dedicated skincare regimen also contributes to the quality of the skin.
Why Is Skin Care Regimen Important?
Pollution levels are rising day by day, and so is the damage to the health and the skin. Following a skincare routine that suits an individual helps in minimizing the impact of pollutants on the skin. It also helps in delaying the signs of ageing.
Science of the Skin
There are three layers on the skin. The first or innermost layer is the hypodermis, which contains fat cells. The middle layer, known as dermis contains connective tissues. The outermost layer is the epidermis which protects the inner layers of skin from environmental damage. With the passage of time, this layer becomes thinner and produces less collagen. Collagen is responsible for the elasticity of the skin, and in its absence, skin becomes loose and tends to sag. UV radiations from the sun further contribute to the thinning of the epidermis. To prevent this, it is of utmost importance to use good quality SPF products.
Benefits of following a skincare regimen
- Prevents Breakouts: The skin breaks out due to the accumulation of excess oils on the surface. These oils tend to clog the pores and cause pimples and acne. Deep cleaning of the skin is essential to prevent such accumulation. However, anything in excess is bad. American Academy of Dermatology suggests washing the face twice and day and after heavy sweating.
- Hydrates the skin: Regular Cleansing of Skin takes away the moisture and natural facial oils. This leaves a dry and flaky skin. It is really important to hydrate the skin from within the body by drinking lots of water. It is equally important to moisturize the skin externally. Different types of moisturizers suit different skin types. It is essential to choose the moisturizers on the basis of skin type. A dermatologist may also be consulted for this purpose.
- Minimizes the pores: The skin is made up of a lot of pores. With time, skin pores tend to expand and become visible on the surface. These open pores accumulate dirt particles and may lead to breakouts and a lot of blackheads and whiteheads. An effective skincare routine shrinks pores and thereby makes the skin smooth and flawless. Smooth skin is significant for a flawless makeup base.
- Protects the Skin: Exposure to the harmful UV rays may lead to skin cancer. It is imperative to protect the skin from sun damage. Exposure to the sun fastens the rate of thinning of the epidermal layer of the skin. Applying a good quality sunscreen helps prevent sunburn and damage. Dermatologists suggest a broad-spectrum sunscreen as it prevents the skin from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Delays the signs of ageing: With the passage of time, the skin tends to loosen. A lot of fine lines and wrinkles start appearing on the skin. Ageing can not be avoided, but, the signs of ageing can inevitably be delayed. Regular massaging of the skin in a proper manner helps in tightening the skin. There are specific products available in the market to deal with the ageing signs. For example, an eye cream tightens the skin around the eyes and prevents fine lines.
- Psychological Benefits: Health has become a top priority these days. Experts say that a healthy lifestyle and diet shows up on the skin. Clear and healthy skin depicts that a person is disciplined in terms of following his/her routines religiously. Practising a skincare regime develops the habit of self-care and discipline in an individual. It is essential to feel good about oneself. It pays off in terms of boosting one’s confidence.
An ideal and simplified skincare regimen
Individuals tend to skip their skincare after following it for a few weeks or even days in some cases. Hectic schedules do not leave much room for self-care. It is really important to develop the habit of religiously practising skincare routine. One needs to be patient throughout this process as the visible effects might take longer to appear. Skincare has to be simplified and should require minimal effort in order to ensure that nobody skips it even on the hectic days.
Dermatologists recommend some basic morning and night routines for healthy skin. A CTM routine is the simplest to follow. It includes cleansing, toning, and moisturizing the skin. Cleansing takes away excess oil and dirt from the surface of the skin. Toning helps in shrinking the pores. Moisturizing hydrates the skin and prevents it from looking flaky.
It is essential to apply sunscreen every morning. Water-resistant and a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30+ is recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology. For the night time, specific repair serums and creams are available which rejuvenates the skin overnight.
All in all, it is essential to figure out what products and routine suits one. Beginners can seek expert guidance from dermatologists who can assess the quality of the skin or any underlying medical conditions and give recommendations. It is of utmost importance to invest time in oneself and develop a skincare routine.